Hey cuhzin! You feeling good in the neighborhood? All is lit over here.
So we purchased a HUGE seeded watermelon the other day. I put it in the fridge to get it, you know, chilled and ready for enjoyment. I was trying to think of why watermelon is so good for us to eat (you know I try to turn everydamnthang into a learning opportunity for your cuhzins). I did a bit of reading on the web that is so worldwide and found a few cool things.
I found that:
- Watermelons contain an antioxidant called lycopene. Lycopene assists in the prevention of certain types of cancer & cardiovascular diseases, it prevents tumor growth, it reduces the appearance of aging of the skin, and lycopene can also play a role in osteoporosis prevention. The lycopene in watermelons is more concentrated than in tomatoes.
- Watermelons are a fruit and a vegetable. The fruit family because it develops from the fruit ovary after flowering and holds the seeds. The vegetable family because it is a member of the cucumber family which includes gourds.
- Watermelons have more than 1,200 varities (A square watermelon? Yes it exists!)
- The whole thing is completely edible.
- Watermelons are over 90% water
So get ’em while you can before they are out of season. The peak season runs from May through August. Although you can purchase the melons when not in season🤷🏽♀️.